Every year the Warhammer Skulls event features another batch of new Warhammer games, like the upcoming RTS Realms of Ruin, and the latest updates to existing ones, like the new Darktide quests. There are a couple of freebies this year as well, so you can get the classic ’90s strategy game Final Liberation: Epic 40,000 for free as part of the Warhammer Skulls Digital Goodie Pack on the GOG cover from now until May 28, and Strategy game 4X Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Relics of War free on Steam if you claim it before June 1st.
Final Liberation is a glorious blast from the past, pitting the Empire against hordes of orks on a grand scale, with tank-stomping mechanical titans to the sound of a heavy metal soundtrack and the best FMV scenes 1997 could offer. It’s a shame that it never received expansions and is limited to a single campaign.
Gladius is newer, it was released in 2018. At first we didn’t think much of it. In his review, Tom Senior gave it a 61, writing “Maybe some bigger explosions would help the heavy exploration section, which you spend exposing procedurally generated terrain and destroying local bugs”, before concluding that “Maybe with upgrades and expansions will gain some complexity and nuance.”
I wasn’t wrong. Thanks to a series of patches and DLC, Gladius finally got the variety he needed and has slowly climbed our list ranking every Warhammer 40,000 game. He’s just been given another free addition, a Tyranid unit called the Tyrannocyte, which is an organic transport ship that looks like someone cobbled together the Alien Egg. There is also a paid DLC today called the Firepower Pack, which adds the following 10 units, each for a different faction:
- Rogal Dorn Battle Tank – Astra Militarum: Heavily armored battle tank equipped with powerful weapons.
- Whirlwind – Space Marines: Artillery tank with a variety of missiles to hit enemy positions from afar.
- Deathmark – Necrons: Sniper unit that teleports to reach its target
- Deff Dread – Orks – Heavy assault walker unit that excels in melee combat.
- Greater Brass Scorpion – Chaos Space Marines – Super heavy walker vehicle that can devastate any enemy front line with its powerful weapons.
- XV107 R’Varna Battle Suit – T’au: Heavily armored monstrous creature equipped with extremely powerful long-range weaponry and a multi-purpose nova reactor.
- Dark Reaper – Craftworld Aeldari – Long-range anti-armor infantry equipped with a variety of missiles to engage fast-moving targets.
- Kataphron Breacher – Adeptus Mechanicus: Chants of the Omnissiah infantry unit with powerful anti-vehicle weaponry.
- Imagifier – Adepta Sororitas: Support infantry unit that enhances nearby Adepta Sororitas infantry units.
- Poxwalker – Neutral: Light melee infantry unit capable of regenerating in combat.
Leave a Reply